Monday, May 16, 2011

Snakes in the Cupboard

I grab my ringing phone off the wall, "Hello?"

"Hey, so... there's a snake in my kitchen.  He's little, but would you maybe want to come and get it out for me?"

I hop in my car, drive down to Camp Eder, and my friend Gabriel is standing against the wall of the kitchen when I enter the cabin.  He's staring intently into one of his bottom cupboards.

I peek my head around the corner and see the cutest little baby black rat snake curled up in a cast iron frying pan, licking the air in our direction.  I let out my coos (just as any girl might) and scooped him up with one hand.


Since it was below 60 degrees outside (raining) and we'd found him indoors, I put him in a terrarium with some warm water bottles for the night.  I know in the photo he appears greenish, but he was completely gray with those black diamond shapes on his back.  His belly was iridescent.  Black rat snakes generally turn completely black (or all black with a little bit of white here and there) later in life, and this pattern on the young helps to keep them camouflaged.

I named him Blinky (ha!) and let him go just outside of my own cabin, hoping I might see less mice in my home over time.  I hope I see him again someday soon!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Just like any regular girl . . .

PS--There was a black bear at the vernal pond. A neighbor saw him.

Emily said...

Are you saying I'm not "regular"? :)

Black bear sightings! That is so exciting!