Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Delicious Smells

Sweet Melissa.  Purple horse mint.  Lemon beebalm.

In the Sensory Garden at Strawberry Hill, plants are growing full speed with all of these alternating sunny and rainy days.  All the names above are for the same plant: lemon mint!

Plants in the mint family always have a square stem.  Even catnip--cat mint--is part of the mint family.  The flowers typically have four stamen and five united petals.  The leaves typically have rounded teeth.

The Sensory Garden acts as a dynamic area for those with sensory disabilities, like blindness.  I reach down, running my hands all over the Lemon Mint, and they come away smelling like yummy citrus fruits from faraway lands.  I dab my fingers on my neck because it smells so delicious.  It isn't the only fun plant in full bloom!  Come check out all the nifty little things in the Sensory Garden, and the Butterfly Garden that's attached!

Photo courtesy of the American Botanical Council.

No comments: