Saturday, May 21, 2011

"Porch Sitting"

Where I'm from, "porch sitting" is a recreational activity that takes place on nice days between late spring and early fall, during which you... sit on someone's porch.  I've taken to "porch sitting" since moving down here, since the porch opens up right into the Preserve.  However, I discovered someone doing this activity on my porch today without me.

A broad-headed skink.  This little lizard was so fast, the first time I saw him this morning, I couldn't catch him.  I was partially afraid I might crush him if I grabbed him too hard, so I was afraid to really go for it.  When I saw him again in the afternoon, however, in the exact same spot, this time I brought a tool: a big, plastic cup.

I managed to scoop him and take one picture before my curiosity got the best of me and I stuffed my hand down to the bottom to see what he felt like.  He took this opportunity to launch out of the cup and run away, me chasing him across the porch, into the driveway, and up under some rocks (in my bare feet, no less).

Here he is, for your viewing pleasure:

No comments: