Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Adding to Your "Life List"

For birders, a "Life List" is the combined list of all the birds they've ever spotted (or for some, at least heard).  There's a certain feeling of elation that goes along with seeing a bird for the first time: palpitations, a jolt of energy to the stomach, maybe a light sweat, perhaps a fast grin.  Sometimes you spend all morning looking for one particular bird, or maybe you've been looking for a bird for weeks, or you know about a bird to at least hope you see it before you die, and so when you finally see it, it's a huge accomplishment.  Or, a huge surprise.

Sometimes they find you first.

Through the years, there have been plenty of times I've found myself flipping through the Peterson or Sibley field guides to identify a bird.  Many times, I pause on the Indigo Bunting page, wishing just once, I could see one, but always missing it.

Today, driving home, I saw the brightest blue flash of feathers along the road side!  I stopped my car immediately (I was not on a main road) so that I could get a closer look.  Despite never having seen an indigo bunting in real life, I've spent so much time pining over the pictures that I knew the bird instantly.  How beautiful!  How cute!  How exciting!

What things have you been pining over that you can add to your "Life List"?

No comments: